Tool of the day: P.E.T. (Present Engaged Time)
Spend 5-15 minutes with each child each day doing a child led activity. Be totally unplugged and fully present without an agenda other than being fully present and engaged for a short burst of time.
- Give 100% of your undivided attention
- Preferably this is a one-on-one activity, so if you have multiple kiddos, you do this with each kid.
- Hint: it may look like you guys are doing nothing but hanging out and just chatting affectionately and that would be perfect!
- Resist the urge to interrogate, lecture, tick things that you worry about off of your to do list; “Who did you sit with at lunch” – which is really code for “Are you the loser kid sitting all alone?”
- Don’t teach a lesson or anything else that your child will perceive as annoying and agenda seeking